This is a simple solution to lunch or dinner and one that everyone will love. The fact that it’s on the lighter side is a little lagniappe. This salad made from lean chicken breasts, apples and dried cranberries, tossed in a lemon-curry dressing will be a hit and something you can throw together with no-angst.
Here’s What You Need
compliment the sweetness of the apple. The dressing is mayonnaise based, which blends well with the dry ingredients. Curry powder, which can vary in potency and heat, should be the dominant flavor and go well with the lemon zest and juice, which add a little tang. These ingredients in the dressing make a great counter balance to the sweetness provided by the apples and dried cranberries. These are all pretty simple ingredients that you may have on hand at any time, so it can be one of those last minute decisions.
Here’s What You Do
Place over high heat and once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. That’s all you need to do. Pull the chicken breasts out of the pot and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes so that they are cooled when you handle them. While they are cooling, zest the lemon and squeeze out the juice and slice the celery cross wise in about 1/8 inch crescents. Wash and peel the apples and discard the core. Chop the apple in to small pieces. You could take a small bit of the lemon juice and mix with the apple so it doesn’t not get brown before you mix everything together.
Once the chicken has cooled so you can handle it, use a sharp knife and chop it into small pieces. I’d suggest about 1/2 to 3/4 inches, but if you like it really
chunky, you can go bigger. A nice option that I have used many times is to simply shred the chicken. Add the celery, apples and dried cranberries to the bowl with the chicken and mix well. Starting with about half the dressing, pour it onto the chicken mix and blend it all together very well. You’ll probably want to use more dressing, so just add some more and blend until it is dressed to your liking. I like it dressed pretty heavy!
Yeah You Right!
Chicken Salad with Lemon-Curry Dressing
Here's What You Need
- 4 large chicken breasts Boneless/Skinless
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 golden delicious apples
For the Dressing
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Kosher salt and Ground Pepper. To taste
Here's What You Do
To Cook the Chicken
- Add chicken breasts and seasonings to a large stock pot and cover with cold water by about 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, lower heat to a heavy simmer for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 170 degrees.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the stock pot and place in the fridge to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
To Make the Dressing
- Zest the lemon and squeeze the lemon juice
- Mix the mayonnaise, lemon zest, cumin and lemon juices in a bowl and mix well. Add kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate while mixing the remaining ingredients.
To Make the Salad
- Peel and dice the apples and chop the celery into small pieces.
- Chop the chicken breasts into small pieces, no larger than about 1/2 inch cubes. Alternately you can shred the chicken breasts.
- Mix the chicken breasts, celery and apples in a bowl.
- Add the dried cranberries and mix well.
- Add the dressing and mix well, Start with about half the dressing and when mixed well, add more according to your taste.