Sweet Daddy D's Chicken Penne
This simple pasta dish with chicken and flavored with fresh tomatoes and spinach will be a hit with the whole family, especially the cook!Print Pin Rate
Here's What You Need
- 1 pound penne pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup Dry White Wine
- 5 cloves toes garlic rough chop
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach
- 6 Roma tomatoes peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- to taste fresh ground pepper and kosher salt
Herb and Spice Blend
- ⅔ ounce fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons Lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch kosher salt
Here's What You Do
- Prepare the penne as directed on the box; set aside. Reserve some of the pasta water
- Apply the Chicken Seasoning liberally to the chicken tenders and set aside
- Peel the tomatoes by lightly making a cross hatch over the stem end trying just to pierce the skin. Drop in heavily boiling water a few at a time for 4 or 5 minutes, then remove to an ice batch. After a few minuted in the ice batch, the skin should easily peel off. Rough chop the tomatoes and set aside in a bowl.
- Add a couple tablespoons olive oil to pan over medium high heat, saute/grill chicken in sauce pan until browned on all sides. remove from pan and set aside.
- Add more olive oil to pan; sauté onions until softened, scraping brown specs off bottom of pan;
- Add garlic and tomatoes, fresh basil, thyme, and oregano and sauté until the onions start to caramelize, about 4 to 5 minutes [maybe deglaise with a little dry white wine]
- Add white wine and let it simmer until reduced by half
- Add the fresh spinach, mix well, cook until starting to wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add cooked panne a little at a time to the pan and mix well. You may not use all of the pasta, just make sure its all coated with the sauce. Add a couple tablespoons of the pasta water and mix well.
- Add browned chicken tenders; mix well.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and the Parmesan cheese and toss all together.
- Taste for salt and fresh ground pepper
Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and crusty French bread