Sweet Daddy D's Essential Tomato Sauce
A long simmer makes this is a thick and rich sauce-you can keep it simple and serve over your favorite pasta or match it up with just about any meat. Its the natural mate for Sweet Daddy D's Tasty Meatballs, but if you start with this sauce there are many options. It can also be the base for some great parmigiana dishes-its the essential tomato sauce!Print Pin Rate
Here's What You Need
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes in sauce
- 16 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup dry red wine
Herb and Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- ½ teaspoon Thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
Here's What You Do
- To prepare, mix the herb and spice blend in a small bowl and set aside. Place the sugar in a separate small bowl and set aside. Chop the onion and pepper and set aside. Chop the garlic. Open all the cans and get the wine ready.
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven with a heavy lid over a medium low heat.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, sauté the onions and pepper until starting to caramelize, this should take about 15 minutes but don't rush it.
- Add the garlic and sauté for about a minute or two until it is aromatic.
- Add in the tomato paste, stirring constantly to begin browning the paste a little. This could take about 5 minutes, but again don't rush it. If needed, use a little, but not all, of the wine to deglaze the pan.
- Add in the herb and spice blend and stir together to mix.
- Take the whole tomatoes and add them one at a time, crushing each tomato in your hand as you add it. When all the tomatoes are added, add the juice from the can and the tomato sauce. Mix well.
- Use the wine to rinse out the tomato cans, then add the wine to the pot.
- Mix all ingredients well and bring to a low boil. Reduce to a slow simmer and cover pot. Simmer covered for three hours, stirring occasionally so it does not stick.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve over your favorite pasta.
This is a basic tomato sauce. You can add ground meat, sausage, Sweet Daddy D's Tasty Meatballs, or even a chuck or veal roast, but it does do very well by itself served over pasta.